An Independent Family-Owned Newspaper
Follow us on:
Subscribe to our RSS News Feed
Drug alert after death of clubber
Friday, 10 August 2012
CLUBBERS are being warned about a suspected toxic drug after a man collapsed and died at a South London nightspot and two more were taken to hospital.
The dead man, in his mid-20s, collapsed at Area Club along Albert Embankment in Vauxhall during the early hours of Sunday.
He was taken to St Thomas’ Hospital in Waterloo and pronounced dead at 5am.
Shortly afterwards, another man at the same club and a third man at the nearby Barcode venue began showing similar symptoms.
They were taken to St Thomas’ and were yesterday described as being in a stable condition, but under close observation.
Police said the dead man and his fellow Area Club reveller had a white powder on them.
Officers have not yet established what the powder was, but said it was “expected to have caused or contributed to their illness”.
Police said the cause of death would not be known until toxicology tests were completed.
They have warned recreational drug users to be “extremely careful, particularly at venues in the Vauxhall area”.
Staff at Area Club were unavailable yesterday and Barcode would not comment.
Lambeth police are appealing for people with information to call Detective Sergeant Janet Barracks on 020 8721 3597, or DS Will Lexton-Jones on 020 8217 3662.
Police said they had also made officers “available around the clock”.
After 10pm, callers should call DS Gordon Barclay on 07785 774477.
People can also call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 and remain anonymous.
All content © of South London Press unless stated otherwise.
Comments on this news item:
Be the first to comment using the form below.
Add your comment:
Advertise with us
Something to sell?